Phytochemical screening and antihelminthic activity of leaf and root extracts of Cassia tora plant
Keywords:Cassia tora, Citrobacter koseri, Staphylococcus aureus, Pheretima posthuma
Cassia tora is one of the most important sources of medicinally important phytochemicals and widely used in Ayurvedic and Chinese system of medicine. The fresh plants of cassia tora were collected from the different locality of Dharan, Sunsari district during the month of August. In this study leaves and root extracts were subjected to extraction by soxheletion by using ethanol and water and the extracts were subjected to antibacterial activity against Staphylococcus aureus. and Citrobacter koseri, the ethanolic extracts were screened for antihelmenthic activity against Indian adult earth worm (Pheretima posthuma) with a moderate result. The result of antibacterial activity revealed that aqueous extract of leaves and roots showed better activity in comparison to aqueous extracts particularly against gram positive bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus).
Vinod D, Rangeri; Pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, text book career publication; volume I.
Geetika Pant and Ugam K. Chauhan; Germination behavior of Cassia toraS eeds in various pre-sowing treatment methods; International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences 4(3): (B) 773 – 778. (2013)
Manjusha Choudhary, YuvrajGulia; Nitesh; Cassiatora: Its chemistry, medicinal uses and pharmacology; Pharmacologyonline3: 78-96 (2011).
E. SanmugaPriya,P. SenthamilSelvan& P. P. Prakash; HPTL method development and validation for simultaneous analysis of emodin and chrysophanol in Cassia toralinnmethanolic extract; Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies, 36:2525–2533, (2013).
A K Meena, Uttam S Niranjan, A K Yadav, Brijendra Singh, A K Nagariya and M MRao;Cassia toraLinn:A review on its ethnobotany, phytochemical and pharmacological profile;Journal of Pharmacy Research, 3(3)557-560.(2010)
Nayan R. Bhalodia et al. Antibacterial and Antifungal activity from Flower Extracts of Cassia fistula L.: An Ethnomedicinal Plant, Int.J. PharmTech Res, 3(1) 160-168,( 2011)
Dubey RD, Verma S, Rane D, Wani VK, Pandey AK and Paroha S ; Comparative Studies of Anthelmintic Activity of Zingiberofficinale and Cassia tora ,International Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 1(1):23-32, (2010).
Abalaka et. al Antibacterial Activities of Azadirachta Indica against Some Bacterial Pathogens, Advances in Life Sciences 2(2): 5-8, (2012).
Nwokonkwo et. al The Phytochemical Study and Antibacterial Activities of the Seed Extract of Dacryodes Edulis (African Native Pear), American Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 5(1),7-12, (20014).
Deore S. L., S.S.Khadabadi, Kamdi K. S., Ingle V. P., Kawalkar N. G. Sawarkar P. S, Patil U. A, Vyas A. J.,In vitro Anthelmintic activity of Cassia tora ; Int. J. Chem Tech Res1(2) 177-179,( 2009).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Aashish Shrestha, Kamana Ghimire, Amit Kumar Gupta, Priyanka Pokhrel, Janmajoy Banerjee, Hemanta Khanal, Mahalaxmi Pradhananga
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
In submitting an article to Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Research (JOAPR) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JOAPR are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Research (JOAPR) data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.