Development and validation of RP HPLC method for determination of metformin and sitagliptin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form
Keywords:Metformin, Sitagliptin, RP-HPLC, ICH guideline
A simple and rapid reversed phase-high performance liquid chromatographic method was developed for simultaneous determination of Metformin and Sitagliptin in Tablet Dosage form. The elution was done with a mobile phase of Water: Methanol (60:40) on Intersil-BDS C18 column (250 × 4.6 mm, 5 μm particle size). The wavelength detector was set at 258 nm. Retention times for Metformin and Sitagliptin were around 2.869 min, 3.942 min respectively. The reliability and analytical performance of the proposed HPLC procedure were statistically validated according to the respect of linearity, ranges, precision, accuracy, repeatability, reproducibility, detection and quantification limits. Linear ranges were established between 20-80 μg/mL for both the drug. The LOD and LOQ for Metformin were found to be 0.663, 1.92 and for Sitagliptin were found to be 0.405, 1.228 respectively. The described High Performance Liquid Chromatography method was successfully employed for the analysis of pharmaceutical formulations containing combined dosage form
Moses R. Fixed combination of repaglinide and metformin in the management of type 2 diabetes, Diabetes, MetabSyndr, 2,101-109 (2009)
Tripathi K.D. Essential of Medical Pharmacology, 5th Edn, Jaypee Brothers Medical publisher New Delhi. pp: 515-516 (2003)
3. Campbell DB, Lavielle R, Nathan C: The mode of action and clinical pharmacology of gliclazide: a review. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 14, S21-S36 (1991)
Galman C., Lundasen T., Kharitonenkov A., The circulating metabolic regulator FGF21 is induced by prolonged fasting and PPARα activation in man, Cell Metabolism, 8, 2, 169–174 (2008)
Brownlee M., Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications, Nature, 414, 3, 6865, 813–820 (2001)
Herman G, Bergman A, Liu F, Stevens C, Wang A, Zeng Wet al. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamic effects of the oral DPP-4 inhibitor sitagliptin in middle-aged obese subjects. J Clin Pharmacol, 46,8, 876–886 (2006)
Dubal A, Khatwal R, Kosaraju J, Meda V, Samanta M. Bioanalytical method development and validation of sitagliptin phosphate by RP-HPLC and its application to pharmacokinetic study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, 4, 2, 691-694 (2012)
Balasekaran C, Rani PA. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for the determination of DPP-4 Inhibitor, Sitagliptin in its pharmaceuticalpreparations. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, 2,4, 138-142 (2010)
Amruta B. Loni, Minal R. Ghante, S. D. Sawant, Simultaneous UV Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Sitagliptin phosphate and Metformin hydrochloride in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form, Der PharmaChemica, 4 ,3, 854-859 (2012)
Goswami L, Mukhopadyay S and Durgapal S. Simultaneous estimation of metformin and pioglitazone by ultraviolet spectrophotometry. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 72,4, 508-510 (2010)
Mubeen G, Noor K and Vimala MN. Spectrophotometric method for estimation of metformin hydrochloride. International Journal of Chem Tech Research.2,2,1186-1187 (2010)
Sujana K, Swathi Rani G, Bhanu Prasad M and Saheethi Reddy M. Simultaneous estimation of pioglitazone hydrochloride and metformin hydrochloride using UV spectroscopic method. Journal of Biomedical Science and Research, 2,2,110-115 (2010)
Bhavesh D, Chetan G, Bhat KM and Shivprakash. Estimation of pharmacokinetics of metformin in human volunteers. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, 41,2,135-139 (2007)
B. Mohammed Ishaq, K. Vanitha Prakash, G. Krishna Mohan, RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of metformin and vildagliptin in bulk and its tablet formulation, Journal of Global Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences,3, 3, 747-754 (2012)
Shweta H and Sunil D. Estimation of metformin in bulk drug and in formulation by HPTLC. Journal of Nanomedicine and Nanotechnology, 1,1, 1-3 (2010)
BalaSekaran C and Prameela Rani A. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for the determination of DPP4 Inhibitor sitagliptin, in its pharmaceutical dosage forms. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2,4, 138- 142 (2010)
Parag P, Imran Md, Vinod B and Yogesh A. Development and validation of stability indicating UV Spectrophotometric method for the estimation of sitagliptin phosphate in bulk and tablet dosage form. Journal of Pharmacy Research, 4,3, 871-873 (2011)
Anil D, Rizwanbasha K, Jayasankar K, Venkat M, Samanta MK. Bioanalytical method development and validation of sitagliptin phosphate by RP-HPLC and its application to pharmacokinetic study. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4,2, 691-694 (2012)
Khan G, Dinesh Sahu, Agrawal YP, Neetu S, Avnish J and Gupta AK. Simultaneous estimation of metformin and sitagliptin in tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Biochemical Pharmaceutical Research,1,2,352-358 (2011)
Ramzia El-Bagary I, EhabElkady F and BassamAyoub M. Spectroflourometric and spectrophotometric methods for the determination of sitagliptin in binary mixture with metformin and ternary mixture with metformin and sitagliptin alkaline degradation product. Internatonal Journal of Biomedical Sciences,7,1, 62- 69 (2011)
Shyamala M, Mohideen S, Satyanarayana T, Narasimha Raju Ch, Suresh Kumar P and Swetha K. Validated RP-HPLC for simultaneous estimation of sitagliptin phosphate and metformin hydrochloride in tablet dosage form. American Jounal of Pharm Tech Research,1,2, 93-101 (2011)
International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceutical for Human Use: Harmonized Triplicate guideline on Validation of Analytical procedures: Methodology, Recommended for Adoption at Step 4 of the ICH Process on November 1996 by The ICH Steering Committee, IFPMA,Switzerland.1996
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 D. Kavitha, S. K. Sahoo, Venkateswara Rao P., Nagamani M., Bhagyalaxmi Ch.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
In submitting an article to Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Research (JOAPR) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JOAPR are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Research (JOAPR) data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.