Investigating the presence of Pesticides in fruits and vegetables by the chromatographic method: A review
Keywords:Pesticides, Extraction, Analytical Method, Spinach, Chromatography
The intensive development of agriculture means more and more toxic and inorganic compounds are entering the environment. Because of their widespread use, stability, selective toxicity, and bioaccumulation, pesticides are among the most toxic substances contaminating the environment. They are particularly dangerous in fruits and vegetables, by which people are exposed to them. It is therefore crucial to monitor pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables using various analytical methods. This article reviews various stages in the determination of pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables. Here the target analyte has been isolated and then enriched before final determination which may be carried out either by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS) method or Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometer (LC-MS) method. This review explores the analysis of multiple pesticide residues in spinach samples and walks through the step-by-step process of developing the analytical method, from sample preparation to analysis, best suited to the data requirements
Pesticides, “Pest Control”: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/ohp-enhealth-manual-atsi-cnt-l~ohp-enhealth-manual-atsi-cnt-l-ch5~ohp-enhealth-manual-atsi-cnt-l-ch5.5, cited 27 October 2012.
Mathew P, Jose A, Alex RG, Mohan VR. Chronic pesticide exposure: Health effects among pesticide sprayers in Southern India. Indian J Occup Environ Med 19, 95-101. (2015).
Fenik J, Tankiewicz M, Biziuk M. Properties and determination of pesticides in fruits and vegetables. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 30, 814–26 (2011).
Harold M, Nair MC, Millers J, Basic Gas chromatography, 2nd edition, 156
Willard Merritt dean settle, Instrumental method of analysis, 7th edition, 569-572
Tuija P, Paula F, Ulla P. Analysis of pesticide residues in fruit and vegetables with ethyl acetate extraction using gas and liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometric detection. Ana Bioanal Chem, 389(6), 1773-1789 (2007).
The effect of herbicides and pesticides on humans: http://www.livestrong.com/article/246750-the-effects-of-herbicides-pesticides-on-humans/, cited 14 November 2012.
Rosenthal J, Carlson RL, Stanley J. A sensitive spectrophotometric method using leucomalachite green for the determination of dithiocarbamate fungicides and its application. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 36, 1170 (1953).
Hylin JW, Kawano Y, Chang W. An ultraviolet absorption method for the analysis of maneb formulations. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 20, 840–5 (1978).
Dušek M, Jandovská V, Olšovská J. Analysis of multiresidue pesticides in dried hops by LC-MS/MS using QuEChERS extraction together with dSPE clean-up. J. Inst. Brew., 124, 222–9 (2018).
Rao Y, Swaroop K, Chiranjeevi P, Rangamannar B, Kumaran. V. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Environment and Health, Chennai, India, 15-17 December, 2003.
Gauglitz G, Wimmer B, Melzer T, Huhn C. Glyphosate analysis using sensors and electromigration separation techniques as alternatives to gas or liquid chromatography. Anal Bioanal Chem 410, 725-46. (2018).
Venugopal S, Sumalatha B. 2nd International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology IPCBEE. vol.6 IACSIT Press, Singapore (2011).
Chiarello M, Moura S. Determination of Pesticides in Organic Carrots by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography/High-Resolution Mass Spectrometry. Analytical Letters, 51, 2563–76 (2018).
Ramos S, Homem V, Santos L. Development and optimization of a QuEChERS-GC-MS/MS methodology to analyse ultraviolet-filters and synthetic musks in sewage sludge. Sci Total Environ 651, 2606-14. (2019).
Introduction to and practical applications of SCIEX Triple Quad 7500 LC-MS/MS system: http://www.sepscience.com/Sectors/Food/Articles/1076-/Analysis-of- Multiresidue-Pesticides-from-Food-Using-the-QuEChERS-Sample-Preparation-Approach-LCMSMS-and-GCMS-Analysis, cited on 14 January 2013
Li S, Yu P, Zhou C, Tong L, Li D, Yu Z, Zhao Y. Analysis of pesticide residues in commercially available chenpi using a modified QuEChERS method and GC-MS/MS determination. Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, 10, 60–9 (2020).
GC-MS/MS determination of pesticide residues in fruit using the Xevo TQ-GC:
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Shweta Borkar, Jessica Gonsalves
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
In submitting an article to Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Research (JOAPR) I certify that:
- I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to JOAPR are not in breach of any other obligation;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
- I, and all co-authors, agree that the article, if editorially accepted for publication, shall be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
- I, and all co-authors, agree that, if the article is editorially accepted for publication in Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Research (JOAPR) data included in the article shall be made available under the Creative Commons 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver, unless otherwise stated. For the avoidance of doubt it is stated that sections 1, 2, and 3 of this license agreement shall apply and prevail.